EVEsdropping: The Best and Worst States for Women
FYI: This podcast was recorded while streaming live on Facebook.
We’ve talked about it here before: Yes, the gender pay gap still exists in 2017. White women make $0.80 to every man’s dollar; for black women it’s $0.64, and for Hispanic women it’s $0.54. BUT some states are better for women than others.
Best States for Employment and Earnings
- New Jersey
Worst States for Employment and Earnings
- West Virginia
- Arkansas (rank 47, yikes!)
States With Highest Median Earnings for Female Workers
States With Lowest Median Earnings for Female Workers
- The states with the most female-owned businesses are Alaska, Colorado, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia—Alaska is #1.
- According to Refinery29, it will take until 2152 to close the gender pay gap. WTF
- “I’m struggling with my roommate. Her boyfriend is an a-hole and is constantly at our house. One night when I wasn’t home, they got in a fight and he told her she needs to lose 20 pounds. Later when I talked to her, she told me she wished I had been there because I would stand up for her. He comments on her weight and what she eats all the time so I hate him. He also does laundry at our house every week, and, this sounds petty, but one time he drank my beer and ate my girl scout cookies. He hangs out at our house when she isn’t even there. It’s making me and my other roommate both not want to be home, but I’m not sure how to go about it. I don’t want to trash her relationship because then I’m scared she’ll get defensive and be with him more, which is the opposite of what she needs. So I’m literally wondering, how do I restrain from killing someone who ate my girl scout cookies? Will Earn Spend Live fund my bail?”
- No, we won’t. (Unless you write about it for us. We kid, we kid.) There are two separate issues here: How he treats your roommate/friend, and how he takes advantage of your apartment without paying rent (or buying you new cookies!!). So first off, talk to your roommate about the way he treats her. Definitely don’t tell her what to do; you don’t want her to end up resenting you or being pushed closer to this asshole. Let her know that you support her no matter what, but you think she deserves better. The second issue: Sit down with your roommate and set some guidelines on guests’ behavior. For example, if they eat someone else’s food, they must replace it or pay up. If they stay more than three days, they need to chip in on rent. Etc. Figure out what works best for you both, but without set guidelines in place it’s hard to really put your foot down.
Would You Rather…
- Have no friends or only have friends who annoy you?
- Would you rather be the office gossip or be left out of all the office gossip?
What We’re Loving This Week
- Elise: KitNipBox!!! Head to our Instagram and watch the amazing video of my cat Laz playing with all of his new KitNipBox toys And then head to https://earnspendlive.com/go/kit-nip-box to sign up!
- Meleah: Pizza.
Send your Dear HBIC questions to hitusup@earnspendlive, sound off on literally everything we’ve said with the hashtag #JustEVEsdropping on Twitter, and don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes. Oh, and like our FB live video please!
Most of our data came from: https://earnspendlive.com/2017/04/best-worst-states-women-live-work/